Whole Grain Irish Soda Bread
1 2/3 cup (400ml) whole wheat flour
2 cups (500ml) other whole grain flours (we like to combine spelt, barley and rye)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cup (300ml) rolled oats
1/2 cup (100ml) natural bran
2 cups (500ml) yogurt
1/4 cup (50ml) milk
1 tablespoon butter to brush on top of baked loaf
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C).
- Combine dry ingredients in large bowl. Stir together.
- Add yogurt and milk. Stir until a soft dough forms.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and kneed 5-6 times until smooth.
- Shape into ball. Pat to 8" round. Place on parchment paper or greased baking sheet. With sharp knife, cut large deep cross on top.
- Bake 50-60 min, until golden and loaf sounds hollow when tapped on base.
- Brush with melted butter.
- Wrap in clean, dry towel to cool. DO NOT CUT until nearly cool. While it is hot the center of the loaf is still cooking.