Saturday, January 9, 2010

First Impressions

Looking out the windows of the Helsinki airport and past the runways (being brushed clear of snow by a line of 5 plows followed by a truck spraying something [de-icer?] over the pavement), one's eyes immediately run into a dense wall of trees. To call it a wall is not quite right as that implies something long and narrow, a boarder delineating two spaces. Rather, my immediate impression is that the airport is a small clearing carved out of the dense, ubiquitous forest.

Coming to our city of Jyvaskyla that impression has been strengthened. Everywhere that is not carved out for roads or buildings is covered in forest. The effect is enchanting. Clearly we are in a different sort of place when people and trees live so closely together. Our books call Finns "Forest People." Now I understand.

Finns do not smile at you in the street. Shop keepers do not ask you if you need assistance (which makes browsing much more pleasant). Cashiers do not make friendly chatter. We had read about all these traits in our books. They are true. I smile at people in the street if our eyes meet and receive only curious looks in return. I am probably making people feel uncomfortable. I'll have to work on my neutral face so I don't stick out quite so much.

This city is made for walkers. There appear to be more miles of walking paths and sidewalks than roads. The walking paths are at least 8 feet wide and perfectly maintained - plowed down to a hard-packed layer of snow that gives (mostly) decent traction. [Charles has been slipping around a bit but my new boots are keeping me sure footed, comfortable and warm. I cannot say enough good about these boots.]

As it is winter and the lake is frozen there are extra walking paths across the lake making the distance from our apartment to the city center three or four blocks shorter. These paths are used by walkers of all ages, parents pushing strollers (yes, they take their babies out in -8F and colder air), and bicyclers. I even saw one preschooler riding a tricycle when it was about -16.

No comments:

Post a Comment