Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Weekend: Sauna, friends and more

Ahhhhhh. There is nothing more Finnish that a weekly Sauna. Our building has two saunas on the first floor (slightly nicer buildings have one in each apartment). Each apartment has an assigned weekly hour to use one. Our hour is Friday from 8-9pm. I had the first go this weekend while Charles stayed upstairs with Kalee. Next week we'll switch. Sometime we'll let Kalee stay up late and sauna with us. The heat, the relaxation, the solitude were all wonderful.

You'd think with Kalee at school and Charles at work I would have plenty of solitude. On weekdays, though, I seem to be spending most of my time forraging the city for food and household items, walking from place to place, or going to Finnish class. Right now Charles and Kalee are out sledding. I decilned to go in favor of a little time alone to write on the blog and drink some tea.

Charles had his solitude yesterday while I took Kalee on her first Finnish play-date. She has made a delightful friend at school and the two of them made plans to play on Saturday. The moms finally confered on Friday to work out a plan. I stayed while the girls played and had a great time making culture, food and vocabulary comparisons with her parents, a Finn and a Brit. They loaned us a really cool cookbook (in English) about the food and history of central Finland. We laughed alot and told stories about our kids. It was the most at-ease I have felt with anyone here yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment