Monday, January 11, 2010

Quotable

"I take life at a walking pace. Spirituality and speed don't go together. You have to believe that when God made time, he made plenty of it."
Heard on a podcast from Wisconsin Public Radio, an interview with Satish Kumar, founder of Schumacher College in England.

Today my walk home from taking Kalee to school took 85 minutes. I went the long way to try to go shopping at the thrift store, but it didn't open until 10. And then I got lost and walked almost all the way around the lake instead of taking the pedestrian bridge across it. It was a nice walk through an old neighborhood with traditional Finnish houses (instead of the modern apartment buildings that most people seem to live in). I had plenty of time. It was a warm day (in the 20s). The snow was beautiful. Finns walk a lot. I wonder how that slowness affects their outlook on life. I wonder how six months of walking will affect mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment